Yolanda Torres, R.D., C.D.E., is a registered and licensed dietitian/nutritionist and a certified diabetes educator. She received her B.A. in Nutrition and Dietetics at the University of Puerto Rico and completed her Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics approved internship in Public Health. Yolanda has more than 20 years of experience in the health care setting. She has worked as a clinical dietitian in hospital settings and in administrative positions within community programs. Currently, she works at Jupiter Medical Center’s Diabetes Education and Outpatient Nutrition Center. Yolanda is also a certified insulin pump trainer and, in addition to her clinical duties, she serves as preceptor to nutrition and dietetic interns. She has served on various committees within the Palm Beach Dietetic Association and is currently on the advisory board for the FAU Diabetes Education and Research Center.
Nutrition For the Prevention of Prediabetes and Management of Diabetes: It is Not Just About Sugar!
Healthy eating and exercise are two major components for the prevention of prediabetes and management of diabetes. Yolanda will discuss the following topics:
- Complex carbohydrates vs. sugar
- Healthy eating tips: reducing foods high in fat and sodium, increasing foods high in fiber and the usage of herbs and spices to fight inflammation, mixed meal concept and what to eat and when to eat!
- Two methods for portion control
- Weight management and achieving your weight goal
- Food label reading and new changes to the food label
- Dining out vs. home cooking
- Increasing exercise and activity
Register Early! There is a $5 charge for registering on the day of a one-time lecture or event.
|Course # F1T6 — One Time Event
|Place:||Auditorium, Lifelong Learning Complex, Jupiter Campus|
|Dates:||Tuesday, December 12 2017 |
|Time:||9:30 - 11 AM|
|Fee:||$0 / member; $0 / non-member|